Monday, March 2, 2009

Planning Outline

Project

The thesis of my project is to examine the intersection at Dalhousie and Notre Dame and decide whether not a roundabout would be a more efficient for traffic flow.

Method
The first stage of my report is to research roundabouts. The questions I will answer in my research are:
- Is there a reason this intersection is one direction at a time?
- If there are any differences between roundabouts and traffic circles and if so which one will apply to my project?
- How efficient roundabouts are in terms of traffic flow?
- How safe they are?
- Can large vehicles use them?
- Is this particular intersection large enough for a roundabout?
- How much more efficient and safe would a roundabout make this intersection?
- Does the code allow roundabouts in this zoning?

To find the answers to these questions I will use numerous sources for my research. I plan to include numerous academic sources including books, journals and web documents. I also plan to talk to some professionals in the field for advice and answers to some of my questions. Lastly, I plan on doing some of my own research on this particular intersection.

Special Problems
Some problems that may arise in my project are:
- If this particular intersection is too small to accommodate a roundabout I may have to revise my thesis or see if the intersection can be made bigger.
- Getting in touch with the person in charge of designing that intersection may be difficult.

References

Kemp, R. L. (2007). Cities and cars : a handbook of best practices. McFarland & Co.

Roo, G. d., & Miller, D. (2000). Compact cities and sustainable urban development : a critical assessment of policies and plans from an international perspective.

Roundabout safety comes to America. (1995). Retrieved 2 28, 2009, from U.S. department of Transportation: http://www.tfhrc.gov/pubrds/fall95/p95a41.htm

Roundabout Safety Experience. (2006). Retrieved 2 25, 2009, from Transportation Association of Canada: http://www.tac-atc.ca/English/pdf/conf2007/s16/weber.pdf

Roundabouts. (n.d.). Retrieved 2 25, 2009, from Ministry of Transportation: http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/popular-topics/roundabouts/roundabouts.htm

11 comments:

  1. That sounds very analytical John. Would be a wicked report if we hadn't already finished ours. I like roundabouts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey John, last summer I was working with the Township of Langley and they had a few roundabouts in various stages of development. You should send Alana Dean an email, she may have some useful information.
    adean@tol.bc.ca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey John,
    I have a friend that works at a consulting firm just outside of Edmonton and she's done some jobs where she looked that the efficiency of intersections and what, if any, improvements could be made. She might have some useful information for ya. Her names Beth Robertson, let me know if you want her contact info.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey John,
    I found a website for a company that deals primarily with roundabouts. There is also info on the many projects they have done.
    Here's the link: http://www.mtjengineering.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey John, You should listen to Roundabout by Yes. It has a wicked keyboard solo. You might find some inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey man I used to date this girl who worked for Urban Systems and her job was to do traffic studies. She had to sit at intersections all day and take various bits of information like traffic counts etc. One of the studies she did involved if putting a round-a-bout at a specific intersection was feasible vs. a traffic light.

    Send her an e-mail:

    kristi_hallam@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. htHey John, cool blog. I found a pdf of a case study that relates very closely to your research project. I hope you find it useful.

    tp://www.tac-atc.ca/english/pdf/conf2003/lenters1.pdf

    Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is there any particular reason why you are choosing this intersection? Do you feel it would benefit from a roundabout or is it just convenient?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here is a link for your research report on glazing: http://www.sabmagazine.com/blog/2009/03/commercial-glazing-systems/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I chose this intersection because it appears to have a very low flow rate on average. Only one side of the intersection is allowed to move at one time which is 50% less than the average intersection. I am not sure why this is yet but I would like to know. Instead of making it a normal intersection, I thought why not try something different and see if a roundabout could make this better than the "average" intersection.

    ReplyDelete